Friday, March 22, 2013

Knish

If you've ever been to New York, you'll know what I'm talking about when I say knish!  (And if you've been to New York, and don't know what I'm talking about, then you haven't really experienced it, and I recommend you go back asap).

Also, it has been my experience, that Knishes are relatively difficult to find anywhere other than New York.  So I had to resort to other means.  My mother.  Who kindly sent me this recipe. (She's a little gold mine when it comes to great recipes)!

Jewish Knishes

Dough:
1 egg
1 tsp white vinegar (or any kind, really)
1/4 c oil
2 3/4 c all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
water (enough to make a nice workable dough)

Filling:
1-2 large yellow onions
3 1/2 lbs. potatoes (peeled & chopped)
chicken broth, or bouillon
2-4 tbs margarine/butter (I'd use butter...)
salt & pepper, to taste

Directions:

For the filling:  Steam and boil potatoes until tender, drain and mash with chicken broth, salt, pepper (lots of pepper!) and 1 tbs butter.  While potatoes are boiling, saute onions in 1-2 tbs butter, until translucent.  Add to potatoes after they've been mashed and seasoned.  Taste again.  add more salt/pepper if needed.

Filling shortcut:  use up your left over mashed potatoes!  Add some salt, pepper and maybe some chicken broth, and you're done!  granted, this might not taste quite as good, but it is a quick way to use up those leftovers!

For the dough:  Place all ingredients in bowl of mixer and mix with a dough hook until the dough is smooth (I usually do this without a mixer... and when I say usually I mean always).  Add enough water to make dough.  Let the dough rest for 15 minutes.  Do not skip this step!

To make the knishes: Divide dough into 2 pieces.  Roll into a rectangle and place a 'log' of potato down the middle (hotdog style/lengthwise), leaving a couple inches margin from each long end.  Bring sides of dough up and press to seal.  With a sharp knife, cut individual knishes into squares.  Place on a baking sheet.  Bake uncovered until lightly browned - about 20-30 minutes (depending on size) at 375 degrees F.  Repeat for second half of dough.  Sometimes, if I've halved the dough recipe, and am making only a few knishes, I'll cut the dough first, and fill and press them individually (I do this if I am just using up some extra mashed potatoes, for example).  Top with some mustard, and enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment